It is finally starting to feel a little like fall! The evenings are cooler and you can find pumpkin flavored everything everywhere. Some don’t like pumpkin either due to it being used so much this time of year or the texture just isn’t their style.
Whether you like pumpkin or not, there are many health benefits that this fall favorite can offer. An article on medicalnewstoday.com provides some insight to these facts. Here are some fast facts from their article that you might not know about a pumpkin:
- The potassium contained within pumpkins can have a positive effect on blood pressure.
- The antioxidants in pumpkin could help prevent degenerative damage to the eyes.
- Avoid canned pumpkin pie mix, as it typically contains added sugars and syrups.
- Uncut pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.
- Pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin can be used as a replacement for butter or oil in baking recipes.
Read the full article here to find out more benefits of enjoying more pumpkin!
Although Arizona has some cooler temperatures in the fall, it isn’t particularly cold and sometimes a baked pumpkin treat just isn’t going to cut it. Here is a recipe to turn your protien smoothie into a “Fall in a glass” treat!
- 1 cup Silk unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon honey, agave nectar, or sweetener of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 medium banana
- 6 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until well combined. Taste and adjust sweetener, if desired.
Notes: For a little extra pumpkin flavor, you can adjust the amount of puree you put into the shake and then use half a banana. For extra Fall flair, maple syrup or maple sugar can be used for the sweetner. This recipe can be adjusted to fit your needs and taste preference!