1. What brought you to CrossFit?
Carrie made me go! She was working a health fair in IL that she organized. One of the vendors was The Body Compound – CrossFit. I was freshly into remission from an upper respiratory disease that I have, Wegeners Granulomatosis, and we were looking for different ways to be healthier.
We had joined other globo gyms and always lost interest quickly. Carrie was excited to try it out after talking to the CrossFit gym owners. I’m glad I went along because we’ve been hooked ever since.
2. What was your first impression?
A 7 min workout is not as easy as it sounds, even for a guy who thought he was in shape. AMRAP of 7 squats and 7 burpees for 7 minutes. I was sore for a week!
3. How has that changed?
Nothing has changed, I still look at workouts and think to myself, “that doesn’t look too bad”. Then I find myself trying to survive. And sometimes I’m still sore for a week, #Murph!
4. What was your first “Bright Spot”?
Competing in my first CrossFit Open. I was able to complete an RX WOD of Overhead squats and chest to bar pull-ups.
5. What are you working on now?
EVERYTHING!!! My goal is to continue to get better each day and be more consistent in getting my butt to the gym. Suffering through each WOD and working on eating clean keeps my disease in remission where it belongs!
6. What’s your favorite CFLT memory?
Meeting Mike Gordon, of course!
Ok, ok, it was when we were visiting AZ for a friend’s wedding and we dropped in at LT. Leif and the rest of the LT Army welcomed us and cheered us on like we were already members. When we moved here a year later, we asked our realtor to make sure we found a house close enough to the gym so we could join!
- What brought you to CrossFit? Our friend Mike (you guys might know him), was doing CrossFit way back in the day and Justin was interested in trying it. So, I got him a membership for his birthday and it took me another year and a half to join him. I had a background in endurance sports (marathon running and triathlons) and I was burnt out and desperate for a new challenge.
- What was your first impression? I LOVED it! I loved the variety, the challenge of new movements, and the camaraderie between members. I also loved the competitive nature of it. It was like nothing I had ever done before. And let’s face it, lifting weights makes you feel like a badass.
- How has that changed? None of that has really changed for me and that is why I’ve stuck with it since 2013! There is always something new to learn and a weakness to work on. Over the years, CrossFit has continued to add new movements for us to learn (dumbbell snatches and handstand walks, for example) and I still can’t do muscle ups (one day!)
- What was your first “Bright Spot”? My first bright spot was getting my first kipping handstand push up. When I started CrossFit, I had never done a handstand or even kicked up to a wall before. The first time I attempted to kick up to the wall, I am pretty sure I let out a scream of terror. But I kept working on it, and over time it has become one of my favorite movements.
- What are you working on now? Stringing butterfly pull-ups together and someday I’d like to actually start working toward getting a muscle up.
- What’s your favorite CFLT memory? Honestly, how can I pick just one after all these years?!!? I guess one that always sticks out to me is from one of the Wildfire Competitions that Justin, Mike and my friend Nicki did together. One of the workouts, required us to carry our partner in M/F combinations 200 meters. Justin slung me over his shoulder, took off running and I laughed the entire time, well at least until it was my turn to carry him.