What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at a high intensity. Better yet, the workouts include core movements that we use on a daily basis in our lives. So, short answer is, CrossFit is full of movements that will help you with your day-to-day activities but one thing is for sure; the workouts will keep your body constantly guessing what’s next. If you’re still wondering what CrossFit is watch this video.
Okay….so now to the good stuff. Here are some facts about CrossFit that you may or may not know:
- CrossFit was founded by Greg Glassman. Greg was a former gymnast and personal trainer.
- The very first CrossFit workouts were created for the Santa Cruz Sheriff’s Department in 1995. Once the department heard about Glassman’s workouts they called him up to start training their officers.
- Police academies, tactical operation teams and military special operations teams all use CrossFit as the basis for all their principal strength and conditioning programs.
- Some of the workouts are named after women because they “wreak havoc”.
- Another component to names of the workouts is to commemorate fallen soldiers.
- In order to be a CrossFit affiliate the owners must apply to become an affiliate (with an essay), pay a yearly fee and the instructors must complete CrossFit training courses.
- CrossFit places a significant emphasis on “giving back”. Workouts such as Memorial Day Murph, Barbells for Boobs, and CrossFit for Hope are examples of fundraising events within the community.
- The majority of CrossFitters are women; about 60% are females.
For those of you who have never tried Crossfit, we invite you to come to CrossFit LT to check us out.
* Facts can be found here.
So for all of you who have tried our Saturday Yoga class; good for you! For those of you who haven’t, you are missing out! Did you know that Yoga has several benefits? According to the American Osteopathic Association the physical benefits of doing yoga are:
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased Muscle Strength and Tone
- Improved Respiration, Energy and Vitality
- Maintaining a Balanced Metabolism
- Weight Reduction
- Cardio and Circulatory Health
- Improved Athletic Performance
- Protection From Injury
So, that brings us to the WHOLE point of this blurb about Yoga. We are officially announcing our first week night yoga class!!!! The poll that we took was in overwhelming support of Wednesdays at 7:00pm. Our first class will be September 13th. If you haven’t tried our Yoga class yet, now is your chance!
(Please be sure to bring your own mat and arrive 5 minutes early)
*This class is offered to our awesome CFLT members at no additional cost. **If you are dropping in please be advised there is a $15 drop-in fee OR you can become a member of CFLT and take part in all the awesome benefits that come along with your membership. Benefits of Yoga